Skip to main content

How I Begin Leveled Math

For any given unit, I typically offer between 3 to 5 leveled assignments, each based around the grade-level standard but presented in different ways. I find that 5 levels really meets the needs of most of the learners in a classroom, but, of course, that is not always realistic or practical. In general, I group assignments in this way:

If I have 3 assignments, it's typically just low, medium, high. But, if I have 5 assignments, I target my assignments to the following popuations:
Level 1: Special education (these will have manipulatives and the assignment may be modified in some way)
Level 2: Intervention students (assignments will still be on grade-level but may use easier numbers, or contain prerequisite review, or targeted drill instruction)
Level 3: On-grade level (for all level of students, I use Universal Design methods, so that certain accommodations are readily available. This usually includes graph paper, graphic organizers, manipulatives, etc.)
Level 4: Advanced learners (this is usually an extension of the current lesson. I may extend into the next grade level or offer larger, more difficult numbers)
Level 5: Gifted learners (problem-solving, many different solutions)

I have found that many math teachers want to teach with leveled math groups but they often feel overwhelmed by the end result and are unsure how to introduce this process.

I begin leveled assignments in the same way that most of us begin our year: slow and gradual, incrementally adding one piece at a time. 

Today is our second day of school but our first "real" day of instruction. We are still getting to know each other and are just beginning to lay the foundation for our math-minded/growth-centered classroom. We have about 6 days to teach growth mindset. This is a perfect opportunity to teach my classroom expectations and model our process for group work, leveled assignments, student choice, journaling, problem-solving, data charting, etc.

Here is a glimpse into the very beginning stages of building a leveled math classroom:

One thing that seems to overwhelm teachers just starting out with a leveled classroom is the thought of creating many different assignments for each lesson. It's very rare that I will create entirely different assignments. Instead, I usually just tweak or modify the existing assignment. 

I am beginning the unit with a lesson called "What Are You Worth?" Here is the original worksheet:

To begin the lesson, we will brainstorm as a whole group all of the various feelings/emotions associated with math: genius, smart, dumb, frustration, proud, quitting, persevering, problem-solving, etc. Once we have generated a list of 20-30 words, I will ask students to choose the words they think describe them as a mathematician. I cut these worksheets into halves, and each student will get the bottom half and choose 3 words.


On each table, I have posted the list of values. THIS is where I will begin the process of leveling assignments. Level 1 is the original worksheet, just cut in half.


On the back side, I created Level 2. I simply used the original values and added one extra digit to each number.


From here, I will let students know that there are two different levels and that they are free to choose whichever level they feel most comfortable with. I will let them know that Level 1 is slightly easier but that they should look at both levels and pick the one they want. It's important to note that students should feel free to choose EITHER level, and neither level should be seen as "better" than the other. 

Comments